Saturday 13 September 2014

Who is to blame? DHL or Custom???

Today, it was supposed to be a good day for me, since it's my rest day.. Working for 5 days a week is just a normal routine for most of us and the weekend comes and were ready to relax and forget the stressful working days..

But today it never happened :(

These early morning I got received a called from the DHL Service Centre (Seberang Prai Branch) and they informed me the latest status of my parcel which I ordered from iHerb last Sunday (7 Sep 2014, Sunday) and by today DHL informed me that my parcel was already on their side and before they proceed for the shipment I need to pay the Custom Charge which cost RM114.12 + DHL Service Charge which is RM41 with total of RM155.12.

I'd really had know idea how the custom made the calculation and conclude it with that amount charge. My items are more on cosmetic which based on their tariff code (HS Code) the IMPORT DUTY 20% + SALE TAX 10% since I bought the cosmetic powder and the rest has no tax at all (I suppose based on their tariff code)

My item total value over all is USD55.66 equivalent to RM170+. But how can they just charge me with nearly 100% import taxes.

While I was on the line with the DHL CSR, I told them what's on my mind and trying to convince her that it was a really unacceptable amount to be paid off.. She's been agreeing with me. However, she said she can't do anything because this is the custom who applied the charged and they just paid it off to release my parcel and just pass the billed on me. What I demanded is to at least negotiate with the custom and check my invoice properly before concluding any amount to be charged. That is why people like me chose DHL because it's hassle free when it comes to custom issue and yet affordable. But how can I be so sure by now??

So the deal has still gone on... I called the custom customer service as well, to demand and get some clarification regarding the fees they charged with my parcel. However, she as well seems like didn't knew what she's doing as I kept asking her how is the calculation the custom in-charge been done with my parcel. And what makes me so annoyed as she never been answer me straightforwardly, keep saying that "Oohh.. Ahhh.. Like that.. I see.. Blah blah.. Code has been changed, don't know what is the code for that, I do not have the copy of tariff code right now... Etc..."   In short, she can't do anything.. Why she's been assigned there as a custom CSR if she that useless and seems like never been trained at all regarding to their customs law and policy.

I was purchasing quiet sometimes from U.S Online store which is the iHerb.com, so at least I should know the customs regulations when it comes to my goods being imported and as I learnt that they will only have rights to charge my goods if it's more than RM500 and weighing more than 1.8kg, and since I ordered as always the same categories which is "cosmetics", I'd belief that the custom should only charge me Import Duty 20% + Sale Tax 10%.

Click the image for full view
It was clear that they supposed to charge me with 30% of my total invoice, not depend on their mood..

What's the point I bought online where I can bargain cheap products, if when reached here they will cost me higher taxes and makes me so stress and unhappiness.

With my all due respect, they should not be unfair like this, not only to me, but to anyone who was in a same boat with me, because custom should follow the protocol in terms of charging import taxes, that is why we ask/request seller to provide and attached the relevant documents/invoice for the custom checking. But it seems like it's never been used at all. I know that the amount is not big compared to others, but they have to see the item values as well if it's worth paying for.

Since today DHL is only half day, and tomorrow is close (Sunday), I will just come visit their branch by Monday, see how can I clarify this issue with them, and to take my parcel as well..

So if you have any plans to buy things online, make sure you inquire the custom first on how they will charge your item, before proceeding to your order to avoid trouble and high charges.

Well, I still do love to purchase from iHerb, however, maybe I will try their cheapest shipping method (International Airmail), it's very cheap although there are some unique drawbacks on these shipping method, First, the package is not trackable. Secondly, this shipping method can be very slow. It can take as long as 6 weeks to be delivered and even longer for some countries. It is also limited to orders that weigh less than 4 pounds and have an order value that is less than $80 (USD). The cost for this method is a flat rate of $4 (USD). Since this package is routed through the postal service and not an express service, the package is less likely to get customs fees charged to the customer. Due to its low cost of shipping and the fact that it is less likely to get assessed any fees makes this shipping method the most popular shipping method for international customers.






No comments:

Post a Comment